Monday, November 23, 2009

Feeling Nostalgic, and as Always, Chic...

While there are certainly some drawbacks to living life in bygone days, I have lately been feeling nostalgic for those times. I think much of it has to do with teaching etiquette in the classroom. It reminds you of a time when men were gentlemen, and women were ladies. Of course, I'm not saying that we should return to the times of blatant social inequality between the sexes, but I wonder what has happened to the days when women carried themselves with grace and elegance. I see it less and less these days.

The amazing photography of Richard Avedon allows me to travel back in time for a moment, to capture the style and sophistication of a different era. His fashion photographs are especially captivating.


Richard Avedon, Paris, 1955


I can just imagine myself sitting in a cafe in Paris right now. My precious poodle, Gusteau, sitting in my lap. A classic Chanel suit (I wish!) with killer heels. A frothy cappuccino, and warm, buttery croissant on my plate. A slight chill in the autumn air.

That's my mental vacation for the day! Where does yours take place?

No comments:

Post a Comment