Saturday, October 10, 2009

You're the Chef d'elegance...

Well, that's what my husband called me last night. I rather like the title! Don't know how true it is, but I'll take it.

So, we went to the Williams-Sonoma technique class, Bistro Suppers. On the menu was Steak au Poivre and Pommes Frites. As far as techniques, the class did not teach me anything new, but I was happy to pick up a couple new goodies that were used in the demonstration for my own kitchen. We finally tried them out last night as we re-created the meal to celebrate our one year wedding anniversary.

The first item was the Steak au Poivre seasoning rub. Very tasty and very simple. Just rub onto ribeye steaks, and cook (we did ours all on the stove top). Much easier than putting all the separate ingredients together. The second was the truffle oil finishing sauce. We used this with a little butter, and beef stock to make a delicious pan sauce to coat the meat with. Quite tasty, and couldn't be simpler!
Instead of the Pommes Frites, we stuck with Ina's Matchstick Potatoes, which were excellent as usual. Thinly sliced potatoes, fried in vegetable oil, and topped with Fleur de Sel and parsley.

Now what would a chic chef wear to serve such an elegant, Parisian bistro meal? This dress from my favorite store, Anthropologie:



I had never thought about it before, but this dress reminds me of the outfit Carrie Bradshaw wears in the final season of Sex and the City, when she finally makes it to Paris.


And that's how to combine two of my favorite things: food and fashion. Add in a bottle of French Burgundy wine, and you've got the perfect evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment