Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Moroccan Magic Anyone?

Oh happy day! My new Williams-Sonoma catalog came the other day. While perusing the mouth-watering contents, I was excited to see their new collection of spices. Sold individually or in themed sets such as "Butcher's Spice" or "Baker's Spice", the selection is vast. I was happy to see some very unique spices included. One even brought a meal back under my radar.

It was quite some time ago that I watched Tyler Florence make a drool-worthy Moroccan meal that included chicken under a brick with apricot couscous and a Grilled Zahtar Flatbread. I never quite got around to trying it because Zahtar is not a spice you see very often in your friendly neighborhood market. But having seen it being offered at Williams-Sonoma, this recipe is quite high on my "to-make" list. I love breads of any kind, and it never hurts to spice it up a little.

Ingredients

  • 1 pound store-bought pizza dough
  • Olive oil
  • 4 tablespoons za'atar
  • Salt

Directions

Preheat grill pan. On a well floured surface, roll or pat the dough into a rustic, oblong shape, about 1/4-inch thick. Brush the crust with a thin layer of olive oil, and dust liberally with za'atar. Lay the oiled side down onto the hot grill. Once the dough looks set, in about 2 minutes, lightly brush with more oil, dust with za'atar and turn the crust over. Sprinkle with salt. Cut into large wedges and serve while warm.


Looks simple enough. I have to say, I haven't sampled Moroccan flavors before, so this will be a new adventure for me. Only the oven timer will tell...


Zahtar Spice
$5.95
Williams-Sonoma

No comments:

Post a Comment