Monday, August 3, 2009

Currently Reading...

I'm just about finished reading my second cooking related book this summer. My first was Julie and Julia, which I really enjoyed. The one I'm working on now is titled, Home Cooking, by Laurie Colwin. I found this book by accident on a message board on amazon.com. Readers were discussing their favorite food related books, and I noticed Colwin's name come up a couple times. I decided to give her book a try.

I'm so glad I did! It's hard to describe the feeling you get from her book, but the best word I can give it is: charming. It makes you want to move into a quiet little cottage in the country and cook simple dishes, in a simple, and humble kitchen for your loved ones. Her writing style is very straightforward, yet gentle, and down-to-earth. In addition, there are so many perspectives in this book. Colwin describes her experiences with food and cooking as a guest at dinner parties, and as the cook. She talks about her favorite foods, and gives wonderful suggestions on how to cook them. Many recipes are included in the book, as well as quaint little illustrations at the end of each chapter which serve to add to the charm. She talks about her successes and failures in the kitchen, and some of her innovative ideas which were created by a lack of gourmet tools and gadgets. She advocates simplicity in stocking a kitchen, but is still able to churn out elegant dishes, which I think appeals to all levels of cooks.

There is something so attractive about her humor and honesty in this book. Everyone can relate to something in it. For me, it was the author's addiction to salty foods that spoke to me. Colwin had to give it up eventually; luckily, I'm not there yet!

This book is quite an easy read, and goes quickly. I plan on reading the second installment, More Home Cooking, as soon as I can order it. Hopefully, I can crack into it and finish it before the new school year starts!

No comments:

Post a Comment