Friday, July 17, 2009

Cooking and Fashion Movies Coming Soon!

I just recently finished reading Julie & Julia by Julie Powell. I absolutely loved it! I truly admired Julie's commitment and courage during the year long project of cooking every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I don't know that I'd have the guts to sample some of the foods that Julie cooked, or to even try some of the cooking methods she did, such as cutting up a live lobster. I'm kind of a big baby. But I love that with Julie, there were no excuses, no skipping the hard stuff. Julie was able to create meaning in her life all on her own, and it gives the reader hope that they can do the same: wherever their interest lies.

What's even better is that the movie version is coming out August 7th. I can't wait to see it, and hope that it is as good as the book. I have to say that I love Amy Adams, but I am having a hard time picturing her as Julie. But hey, you never know. She could end up being brilliant in the role.

Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously
amazon.com

I am also thrilled that The September Issue is coming out on August 28th. This will be the world's first sneak peek into the world that is Vogue. I have always loved Vogue magazine. It is the very epitome of glamour and style, and the images in it are some of the greatest works of art you will ever see. In this documentary, we will actually get to see what it is like to be Anna Wintour: the most influential woman in fashion, and editor-in-chief of the magazine.

You may have an idea about Anna Wintour if you saw one of my favorite movies, The Devil Wears Prada. Meryl Streep's character, Miranda Priestly, is based on Wintour. I have a special affinity for the character of Miranda Priestly. My own "teaching persona" is based on her, and it totally changed my teaching for the better. In case you haven't seen the movie, Priestly is feared, respected, and idolized. When she speaks, people listen. If she says jump, well, you get the picture. She is able to do all this without ever raising her voice. I tried it in my classroom-worked like a charm! Anyways, back to the topic at hand. I am intrigued to see the real-life version of Miranda Priestly in action.

I have been interested in fashion since I started out in retail in college. While I love all art in general, to me, fashion is the greatest form of art because it's changeable. If you don't like the look of an outfit, you can change the accessories and get a whole new look. Try changing a painting you don't like in an art gallery!

I am sure this movie will have some stunning images and designer clothes that will make us drool. Can't wait!!

imdb.com

No comments:

Post a Comment